Little English, No Cash… Naturalization?


The Obama Administration once again is trying to make life easier for immigrants to become fully members of the United States society by becoming citizens if they are eligible to apply for citizenship in Form N-400. Part of the process after filing the application is taking the naturalization test. The naturalization test consists of 100 civics questions. You may be asked up to 10 questions from the list of 100 questions in English during your immigration interview. To pass, you must answer six of the 10 questions correctly. You can now study questions for your naturalization test in Spanish.

Immigrants looking to become naturalized U.S. citizens can now study for the civics portion of the test in Spanish, courtesy of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Potential citizens can find study sheets, flash cards and audio tools in Spanish at to help them prepare for the 100-question civics test, which must be taken in English. “Prepare for your naturalization test – take our interactive Quizzes in Spanish!” The materials in Spanish can be found:

Also, in an attempt to promote citizenship, the Obama Administration last month announced that aspiring citizens can pay Form N-400, Application for Naturalization with Credit Card. There is no additional fee to pay with your credit card. The N-400 is the only form that can be paid for by credit card using the G-1450, Authorization for Credit Card Transaction. You may even use gift cards with Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover logos.

If you choose to pay with a credit or gift card, you must pay the entire fee using a single card. Please ensure the credit card or gift card has enough money to cover the fee. This option was welcomed by many immigrants who complained they did not have the $680 fee in cash and were looking to pay the application in installments.

You should remember that this article is not intended to provide you with legal advice; it is intended only to provide guidance about naturalization. Furthermore, the article is not intended to explain or identify all potential issues that may arise in connection with a case involving lawful permanent residents aspiring to become citizens.

I represent individuals in immigration cases. If you have any questions or concerns about an immigration case and/or you are undocumented, you can call me at (315) 422-5673, send me a fax at (315) 466-5673, or e-mail me at The Law Office of Jose Perez is located at 120 East Washington Street, Suite 925, Syracuse, New York 13202. We are also in Buffalo and coming soon to ROCHESTER!!! Please look for my next article in the January edition. MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR 2016!!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *