Ah, the lazy, hazy, crazy days of Summer! A good time for an imaginative, healthy and tasty salad. Below is a recipe from Farm Animal Rights Movement. You can sign up to receive a recipe from them once a week. Go to www.MeatoutMondays.org.
Also, consider joining People for Animal Rights and enjoy our socials at Strong Hearts Cafe or potluck meals at homes of members. You don’t have to be vegan or vegetarian to try these recipes and have a good time!
Linda A. DeStefano, People for Animal Rights, P.O. Box 15358, Syracuse 13215-0358, (315)488-PURR, LDESTEFANO3@twcny.rr.com, peopleforanimalrightsofcny.org
Tomato Basil Salad With Tofu
It’s the perfect time of year for a light, summer salad. This recipe is designed for one big, filling bowl so if you’re making it for more than one person be sure to double or triple up the recipe. Get jazzy and add your own salad-favorites too. Bon Appétit!
Ingredients for the salad:
2-3 cups of baby spinach
10-12 grape tomatoes, halved
4-6 basil leaves
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinaigrette
1/4 avocado, chopped
2 Tbsp. raw pumpkin seeds
1/4-1/3 recipe of Sriracha and soy sauce tofu (below)
Ingredients for tofu seasoning:
1 block extra firm tofu
1/2 tsp olive oil
2 Tbsp. light soy sauce
1 1/2 Tbsp. Sriracha
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Slice tofu into desired shape, keeping each portion no thicker than 1/2 inch.
3. Add tofu to your mixing bowl and add the olive oil, Sriracha, and soy sauce. Gently mix to combine.
4. Spread evenly on a cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
5. Remove baking sheet from oven and flip each piece of tofu over. Drizzle remaining marinade over the tofu and bake for another 10-12 minutes.
6. Once tofu is slightly crisp on the outside, remove from oven.
7. Combine the halved tomatoes with basil and dressing (pro tip: marinate while you let the tofu cook).
8. After the tofu is ready, toss the spinach with the marinated tomatoes and top with hot or cold Sriracha and soy sauce tofu, chopped avocado, and pumpkin seeds.
For more healthful vegan recipes visit ILoveVegan.com.