Quick and Easy – Kid Friendly Snacks!
In a hurry and looking for a healthy yet satisfying snack? Ever wondered what nutritious snacks to give your kids when on-the-go? Get your fruits and veggie servings in with these quick low-cost and tasty treat ideas! Try these tips for staying healthy and happy even in a time crunch! Involve your kids in snack selection and preparation – they often eat what they make!
*Make pita pockets! Stuff a small whole-wheat pita with sliced bell peppers, salsa, and a slice of low-fat cheese. Melt in the microwave for 15-20 seconds.
*Try a piece of “cheesy toast.” Toast a slice of whole wheat bread and top it with a slice of your favorite low-fat cheese!
*Energize your kids for better learning! Pack the kids with energy while they are at school! Wrap up some peanut butter and banana in a whole-wheat tortilla wrap! It’s delicious and will keep your kids fuller for longer!
*Freeze your fruit! For a frozen treat on hot days, try freezing grapes or bananas! Don’t forget to peel the bananas and pull grapes from the stem before freezing.
* Creative Veggies! At times it can be difficult to get youth to enjoy vegetable, right? Try these ideas: cut up some celery into long sticks, put a little peanut butter on top, and then throw on some dried raisins or cranberries. Who wouldn’t want to try “Ants on a Log?!”
*Jazz up your favorite cereal! Make a trail mix! Stir 1/4 cup of unsalted nuts, 1/4 cup of dried raisins or cranberries, and 1/4 cup of whole-grain cereal together. A great snack for when you’re on-the-go! (For youth ages 4 and older.)
*Make a fruit sandwich! Cut an apple into thin slices. Spread peanut butter or almond butter between the two slices to create an “apple sandwich.”
Power Up with “Roll Ups”! Roll a slice of deli turkey or ham around an apple wedge, a bell pepper of around a slice of low-fat cheese.
*Craving a sweet dessert? Treat yourself! A yogurt parfait will do the trick! Layer some low-fat Greek yogurt, with your favorite fresh berries! Sprinkle granola on top for a little crunch! Or if you have the time, blend it together for a delicious fruit smoothie!
Try these fun and easy recipe with your kids!
*Veggie Wraps! (A great snack or as part of a meal)
1. Dice veggie that you have on hand. Try: romaine lettuce, carrots, peppers and onion
2. Add some fresh, frozen or canned corn kernels and
3. Shred some low fat cheese.
4. Mix veggies in a bowl and drizzle with low-fat salad dressing or salsa!
5. Place a spoonful of the mixture on a warm whole-wheat tortilla
5. Sprinkle on some shredded cheese; Roll up and enjoy!
*Homemade Popcorn: That’s right, popcorn! It is a whole grain and without all of the added salt and butter, it is a great choice for a light snack at any time of the day! Get the kids involved and make it yourself!
1. In a large pot, add 1-2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
2. Add 1/4 to 1/3 cup of popcorn kernels. Cover the pot.
3. Heat over medium heat, shaking the pan to distribute the oil with the popcorn
4. When the corn starts to pop, turn don heat to low. Keep shaking pan across burner until the popping
5. Carefully remove the cover.
6. Flavor ideas! Spray hot popcorn with vegetable oil spray- for a sweet treat, sprinkle with a touch of sugar mixed with cinnamon. Like it savory? Mix garlic powder with parmesan cheese, sprinkle over hot popcorn – Enjoy 3 cups for a serving!
For more recipes, healthy eating and active living tips and more, visit http://southerntiereatsmartny.org/. Sign up for our e-newsletter too!