CELEBRATE 2018! Start the New Year Right ~ Eat Better, Feel Better!
The number one New Year’s Resolution is to eat healthier and be more active. Change doesn’t have to be hard. Start by small changes instead of re-doing your whole diet!
Easy changes YOU can make include:
Use smaller plates, bowls and cups- smaller portions means fewer calories!
Color your plate! Fill half your plate with fruits and vegetables.
Go lean with protein! Choose lean proteins like fish, chicken, beans, nuts and peas.
Track your progress! Super tracker is a free online tool where you can get a nutrition and physical activity plan. Visit, www.ChooseMyPlate.gov., for tips to help you make healthier choices and plan ahead.
Don’t forget, change takes time. It takes 21 days for a behavior to become a habit. Don’t give up! When we form new healthy habits we improve our health and energy!
Balance Calories In With Calories Out!
Calorie balance is like a scale. When we eat more than we need we store the extra calories as fat. Balance calories you eat with daily activities like exercise!
Adults should aim for 30 minutes or more of activity most days of the week.
Kids need at least 60 minutes of activity every day.
Start Slow-Try just 10 minutes of activity at a time. Any activity is great! Three mini activity breaks spread throughout the day will help you achieve the recommended 30 minutes/day- it all counts!
Have Fun! Try activities you enjoy like biking, dancing or sledding. Find creative and fun ways to get moving! The more we enjoy an activity, the more likely we are to keep engaging in it!
Get the Family Involved. Play catch, build a snowman, and go ice skating or walk to the park with the whole family!
Make Little Changes! Take the stairs, park your car further away, try yoga stretches or do push-ups while you watch TV. Small changes make a big difference!
Collard Greens with Black-Eyed Peas and Tomatoes
Serves 8. Serving size= 1 cup
1 1/2 cups brown rice
3 cups water
1 large bunch collard greens or 16oz spinach
3-4 cloves garlic finely chopped
1 medium onion chopped fine
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 14-ounce can black-eyed peas
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Add hot sauce to taste
1. Bring water to a boil, add rice, cover and reduce heat. Steam rice for about 40 minutes, until all water is absorbed.
While rice is cooking:
1. Wash collard greens, remove stems and slice into strips. Cut across strips to cut leaves into bite sized pieces.
2. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat, add garlic and onions and cook for 3-4 minutes.
3. Stir in greens to coat with oil and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring regularly. (Add water if greens starts to stick to pot)
4. Stir in tomatoes, cover and cook for another 10 minutes.
5. Add the black-eyed peas; mix together the maple syrup, vinegar and spices (black pepper and hot sauce as needed) add to pot.
6. Stir well, cover and cook on low until collard greens are tender; about 20-30 minutes.
7. Serve the greens and beans on a bed of rice. Enjoy!
Nutrition Facts/Serving: Calories– 280; Fat– 8.5 g. Carbohydrates– 46 g; Fiber– 5 g. Sodium– 390 mg.; Cholesterol—0 mg.; Vitamin A-40% DV; Vitamin C– 90% DV; Calcium– 15% DV; Irons– 15% DV.
Funded by USDA. This institution is an equal opportunity employer.
Southern Tier Eat Smart NY is funded by USDA’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program – SNAP. SNAP provides nutrition assistance to people with low income. To find out more, go to www.myBenefits.ny.gov or contact 1-800-342-3009.This institution is an equal opportunity provider.El USDA es un proveedor y empleador que ofrece igualdad de oportunidades.